Monday, July 29, 2013

Chelsea Handler vs Tina Fey vs Mindy Kaling

Reading these nonfiction, semi-autobiographical was quite the change for me. I'm very much drawn to fiction because I'm attracted to lies and as a writer I lie for a living. But autobiographies have a bit of exaggeration to them, similar to reading fiction.

I also don't see the point in reading books by celebrities because I just don't think they need to write about their lives. They're always complaining about not having enough privacy and then they write a tell-all book chronicling their escapades in the Netherlands. I also think that people tell them they should write a book about their lives just to tell them. You know how sometimes you tell someone what they want to hear just to shut them the hell up? That's how I imagine the idea of writing an autobiography comes about. And of course their agents aren't going to tell them, "No, don't write a book." because the agent also has a chance to make money off the book sales. But here I am having read three nonfiction books by celebrities.

I decided to read three nonfiction books by the comediennes: Chelsea Handler, Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling. I know of all three of these women and I watch their shows. I soon found out the only thing in common these women had was me reading their book.


Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

I found it kind of hard to believe that Chelsea was as outspoken as a child as she is now. It may be true, but to me to was a major exaggeration of her character. I can believe she was an outspoken teenager, but at eight years old I'm not so convinced. I felt like she was definitely exaggerating with some of the dialogue. The stories where pretty funny, but not laugh out loud funny. I also would've liked it better if the chapters flowed together. They would sort of jump around, leaving big chunks of years of her life out. I hadn't realized Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang was her second novel until she mentioned her first novel. I wonder if Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea is a series of short stories like Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. I had the feeling that Chelsea wrote this book for herself not so much for anyone else. Maybe also for the amusement of herself and the people she talked about in the book. There were a lot of her inside jokes and even with the explanations I didn't find them too funny. I feel that if you have to explain a joke, it loses the chance of being funny. I'm thinking maybe if I read Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea I'd understand Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang better. I always find it funny when celebrities write two autobiographies because all I can think about is you didn't put the most significant events in the first one? Who wants to write or read about the insignificant events?


After I finished Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, I realized it's her third book. So I went straight for the jugular and bypassed the first two. One of which I didn't even know existed. Maybe the first two are less anecdotal and more of a story than Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. Like I said before, if her first book was more of a story of her life then I don't see the point of writing two more books because your life story has been told. It can get more complicated than that if you think in terms of her still writing her life story because she's not yet ninety. But if that's how you think then she should write her autobiography when she turns ninety. I love Chelsea Handler I think she's really funny (a bit less funny these days, but I digress), but I was disappointed by Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, but maybe I would like Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea or My Horizontal Life.



Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants was easier to relate. The stories were more linear than Chelsea handlers and they were less of an inside joke. Bossypants is closer to what I imagined an celebrity autobiography would be. The stories in Bossypants were more anecdotal and way funnier than in Chelsea bang. Chelsea handlers stories to me felt like she was telling them to show everyone how much better she is than the stupid idiots in her life. Tina fey's stories to me felt like she was a stupid idiot along with all the stupid idiots in her life. And unlike handler I felt fey grew and matured in Bossypants. Handler stayed her same viciously sarcastic self. Fey admitted the way she acted when she was younger was deplorable and that she would never act like that now. Tina fey wasn't always the way she is now. Sure she was sarcastic and witty and it's possible her stories are a little exaggerated, but I think in that exaggeration fey tried to stay as close to her true self as she could. 

I felt like I got a little glimpse behind Tina fey. She curses in Bossypants and I've never seen Tina fey curse. Not even in mean girls. She always uses alternative words which I always find funnier than cursing but in Bossypants I found it surprising and hilarious. In  Bossypants fey used some celebrities as the butt of her jokes. I found that a little surprising because I think comedy is not about funny of people as much as its about making funny of yourself. Comedians who only use other celebrities as their jokes aren't funny to me. I like anecdotal comedy where the comedian uses life experience for a joke. Tina fey does both; a little more anecdotal than bashing. I'm just saying that you expect comedians to use celebrities as the butt of their jokes, but I just didn't expect it from Tina Fey because she doesn't do stand-up.

I thought the chapters in Bossypants were too short. I think I was looking for a little more detail. However, more detail is not always better and Tina Fey's short, simple chapters got the point across. Bossypants was pretty funny from the beginning; I especially liked when Tina said the moment she knew she was a real woman was when she bought a rad white denim suit. But when I read "The Secrets of Mommy's Beauty" I was on the floor rolling around in a hysterical fit of laughter. After that chapter I don't think I really read the rest of the book because the tears from laughing so hard obstructed my view. The chapter "30 Rock: An Experiment to Confuse Your Grandparents" had to be my favorite chapter. Not only was it hilarious, it was very informative. Basically it's my young adult dream to be a writer on a TV show and this chapter gave me a little inside to how television works. I loved how Tina Fey applied her first and second rules of improv in Bossypants. Most notably in the "Dear Internet" chapter. That chapter was absolutely hilarious. Not only did she agree with the negative comments she elaborated on how the person was absolutely right. I love Tina Fey's sarcasm. I agree with a lot of what Tina had to say; like her thoughts on photoshop and how everyone else views women comedic writers. I think Tina Fey is my spirit animal.

If my generation was a generation that consisted of me and my friend, who also read Bossypants, Tina Fey would be the voice of our generation. I have to admit that I want to be Tina Fey when I grow up. She's smart and doesn't give a shit, but is classy about it. I think she stays true to herself and doesn't worry. I can only hope that one day I can achieve one of those.



Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? 
(And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

My friend recommended this book to me which was totally appropriate because if I'm honest with myself Mindy Kaling is actually me when I get older. If I was born at the same time she was, I think we'd be twins. Everything she talked about was seriously what I think about all the time. Her first chapter entitled I never forget: a sensitive kid remembers is me. I new forget I remember everything and I got made fun of for being fat as a kid. By other kids and some members of my family. 

The way she wrote everything was really true to herself. She said she tried to right the book the way she thinks and I think she did an excellent job for doing that. 

At first I thought it was going to like Tina feys book because in the opening chapter she thanks the reader for buying  the book just like Tina fey did. But mindy has her own unique style that is admirable. She also mentions Chelsea handler's book which I thought was funny because I read that too.

This book is more a collection of funny stories and thought process than a funny biography. It's kind of like a collection of lists that come together seemingly and very easily. I really liked the way it was written because it's similar to the way I think, like I mentioned before.

I am so utterly impressed by Mind Kaling's comic memoir. It was hilarious, informative and page turning. When I started Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, I saw some similarities between my thought process and Mindy's. But when I got about a chapter in, I realized we are the same person. I agreed with everything she said about everything she wrote about. Some of the things she would do, like leave a party without saying goodbye, is something I would do and have done. Her thoughts about the way men dress and her imagination is scary reminiscent of mine. The one chapter that really stuck with me and paralleled my life was the first chapter: I Forget Nothing: A Sensitive Kid Looks Back. I have experienced what she talked about in this chapter for most of my childhood.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling has changed my life. It also makes me want to be best friends with Mindy Kaling or be the Mindy Kaling of my friend group. I really highly recommend Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling and The Mindy Project (2012-) which is even more hilarious then her book. It plays Tuesdays at 9:30PM EST on FOX. I can't wait for season two (which premieres on September 17)!

I really hope I can be as successful and funny as Mindy Kaling is when I'm her age. She's so confident and smart. I'd love to work on her show too.



After reading these three autobiography type books written by celebrities, I think I've realized that comedians and actors have a different style of writing a book about themselves. I'm concluding that comedians/comedic actors write in an anecdotal form. They tell short, funny stories while somewhat conveying a traditional narrative. I think "regular"actors use a more linear form in their autobiography with one or two funny stories and maybe a dramatic one. For example, I doubt Arnold Schwarzenegger's biography was completed compiled of funny anecdotes. I could just be completely wrong and all celebrity autobiographies are just a bunch of stories, but I doubt it. There's no way I'll ever find out because unless Maya Rudolph writes a book, I'm done reading celebrity autobiographies.

Bossypants by Tina Fey and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling were my favorite. It's a tie; I can't make up my mind.

Sidenote: I hope one day my agent will get me a book deal and I can write a comedic autobiography like Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling. That is my second goal in life. My first is obviously become as funny a comedy writer as these ladies so that I will be able to get a book deal and complete goal number two.

No comments:

Post a Comment