Monday, July 1, 2013

Reading List!: July 2013

I think I'm starting a new series here on Lectionem Monstrum. I've done plenty of posts like this, but with different names. I think starting this series will make it more clear for you guys and it's a little more organized, which is good for me. It'll be easier to keep track of the books I read in the month and I'll be closer to completing my goal.

I finished reading all of Chuck Palahniuk's fictional novels and I finished another series I was reading. Now it's time to start reading some new books!

I'm so used to reading books in a series or books written by the same author that it feels weird to start reading individual books. But I'm really looking forward to reading these next books. Although I am going to read a book and its sequel.

I do want to read another series or find another author to marathon read. I was thinking about re-reading A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket because I love that series. Then when this season (season 6) of True Blood ends I was thinking about starting the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I've been wanting to start that series probably for two years. I think it's finally time. Plus, reading that series after the current season ends will help ease the pain of not seeing Alexander SkarsgÄrd, Joe Manganiello or Anna Paquin every Sunday night.

The four new books I'm really excited to read are Palo Alto: Stories by James Franco, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories by Truman Capote, John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It (both) by David Wong. I'm reading James Franco's book because he's so talented, I want to see how that talent transfers into a book and because the book has been made into a film. I heard the way the script was written and how the book is written is different, but it doesn't matter. I'm going to experience both and probably love them. Maybe I'll even do a Novel Adaptation post about it. Then I'm reading Breakfast at Tiffany's because I just saw the film for the first time and I had no clue it was a novel first. I have to say Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) is possibly the greatest film I've ever seen in my life. I bet the book is just as great and it comes with three other stories! The way I came about wanting to read the novels by David Wong is similar to why I read James Sallis's Drive and Driven. The only difference is I watched John Dies at the End (2012) knowing it was a book first. I just really wanted to see it and I didn't want to sleep that night. Doing some more research I discovered that David Wong had also written a sequel. The film was quite extraordinary, although I didn't get the entire thing. Maybe the books will shed a little light on my situation.

I also really want to finish the Sophie Katz series by Kyra Davis, but I discovered that my local library does not have a copy of the final book (Vanity, Vengeance and a Weekend in Vegas) in the series. I want to read the last two books (Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress and Vanity, Vengeance and a Weekend in Vegas) together, but fear I won't be able to if I don't find a hard copy of the last book. There's an Audible copy of the last book, but I don't like ebooks as stated here.

I've started to read these books already, but I feel like July is going to be a long, free month for me. I want to spend July reading as many books as possible and completing my reading goal for 2013.

Happy Reading and Read On, Bookworms!

No comments:

Post a Comment