Sunday, July 7, 2013

F*CK!: I'm in my Twenties by Emma Koenig


A month ago, I turned twenty. So I'm officially in my twenties. Some people say your twenties is the best time in your life. You get to discover yourself and everything finally comes together. The days leading up to my twentieth birthday were daunting and I wasn't excited. Two weeks later, I realized I have an immature sense of humor and that it will help get through whatever challenges I face in my twenties.

Months before I turned twenty, I found F*UCK!: I'm in my Twenties by Emma Koenig on the Urban Outfitters website. I didn't really see a point in buying the book because I won't be in my twenties forever. I imagine I'll only relate to the book until I'm twenty-five. I figured I'd read this book to get a perspective on being in my twenties. I know it's not going to be like on Gossip Girl or any other TV series or film, but I like to get different opinons. I'm not going to use this book as a guide book to live by during my twenties because I don't believe a book can tell me how to live my life. But perhaps some parts will help me make decisions. It's exciting and devastating being in my twenties because it means I'm finally growing up, but I'm also getting old.




F*CK!: I'm in my Twenties was not what I expected. Actually, I'm not sure what I really expected, but it wasn't it. I guess I thought it was going to be like a comedic autobiography ala Mindy Kaling or Tina Fey. It was funny, but just a chuckle not really rolling around laughing. However, I did relate to a lot of the feelings Emma had. The only thing is I've been feeling that way maybe since I was seventeen so that leaves me a bit confused about things I can't really explain.

The way F*CK! started, made me realize why Emma is having such a horrible time in her twenties. She kind of wanted it to be like the movies and had unrealistic expectations. The way she feels about her twenties is really how I feel about my life. Maybe that's why I'm not really worried about my twenties being horrible or something I want to rush through. I'm treating it like every other year of my life; I'm just going to work hard and make sure that good things happen to me not by chance, but by my own doing. I must be one of the people she talked about in her introduction who had a fine time in their twenties. I have no hope that my twenties will always be this simple, after all I literally just turned twenty ONE month ago. It's not like I'm a postgrad in a postgrad slump still living at home desperately wanting to live like the fabulous young actresses I admire. I acknowledge that maybe in a couple of years my twenties will be the struggle that everyone talks about, but for now I don't see it. I'm the type of person who over analyzes and melodrama is a major theme in my life, but then I get over quite quickly. I'm not really worried..

Emma Koenig's book was funny and easy to relate to, but I really don't see myself taking anything from this book. The ideas I related to were already in my head so nothing was gained.

I recommend F*CK!: I'm in my Twenties by Emma Koenig if you want a quick read and a quick laugh, but don't anything too much to the heart. Don't carry it around like you're a fundamentalist with the Bible. I'm definitely not going to be looking for other books on being in your twenties. I might not even read a book I stumble upon that's about being in your twenties. I'm just going to do things my way and it'll work out for me (or it won't, whatever) because it's my way and no one else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment