Friday, September 27, 2013

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

"The death of Judd Foxman's father marks the first time that the entire Foxman family-- including Judd's mother, brothers and sister-- has been together in year. Conspicuously absent: Judd's wife, Jen, whose fourteen-month affair with Judd's radio-shock-jock boss has recently become painfully public.

Simultaneously mourning the death of his father and the demise of his marriage, Judd joins the rest of the Foxmans as they reluctantly submit to their patriarch's dying request: to spend the seven days following the funeral together. In the same house. Like a family. 

As the week quickly spins out of control, longstanding grudges resurface, secrets are revealed, and old passions reawakened. For Judd, it's a weeklong attempt to make sense of the mess his life has become while trying in vain not to get sucked into the regressive battles of his madly dysfunctional family. All of which would be hard enough without the bomb Jen dropped the day Judd's father died: She's pregnant.

This Is Where I Leave You is Jonathan Tropper's most accomplished work to date, a riotously funny, emotionally raw novel about love, marriage, divorce, family, and the ties that bind-- whether we like it or not."

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper is amazing. I'm so impressed by Tropper and going to try and coherently express it in this post.


The first one hundred pages are high-larious; I did not stop laughing. I didn't expect This Is Where I Leave You to be as funny as it was. I really only decided to read it because it's being turned into a film and as tradition, I have to read the book before seeing the film. (Also, seeing Emma Roberts post a picture of the book on her Instagram also helped. Her taste in books is impeccable).

Sorry (not sorry) to be stereotypical, but Jewish people are hysterical. I have not encountered a famous person of the Jewish faith who is not funny to me. From Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld and Lewis Black to Seth Rogen, Jason Segel and Judd Apatow, my eyes are never dry when watching them. Don't be mistaken, I'm not saying they're better or funnier than Chris Rock or Louis C.K., but for the purposes of this post, I'm using that group.

This Is Where I Leave You is about a dysfunctional Jewish family who begrudgingly agree to sit shiva after their father's death. It's really one of the best dark comedy novels I've read this year. Tropper knows how to write! Haven't seen this great a blend of tragedy and comedy since Palahniuk. I want Tropper to write the story of my life. The only problem I had with This Is Where I Leave You, was that it didn't entirely take place inside the Foxman home. At this moment in my life, I'm really into stories that have a setting in one place, one room or one house. (Not to give anything way). All the Foxmans eventually leave the house during the shiva. But it completely worked with the story. During shiva, you're not supposed to leave, but I think it was silent rebellion against sitting shiva. The Foxmans needed to leave to make them feel like they still had control and escape themselves and each other. It's just right now I'm really into solitary settings. I think if I read this earlier or later, I wouldn't be thinking about it.

The characters were a lively bunch. I loved all the different personalities within the Foxman tribe.
The siblings antagonized each other even in their "mature" age, their mother still treats them like babies and they're still heavily annoyed by it. Which goes to show that whenever you're around your family, they bring out the child in you. It's a beautiful thing, when you're not a part of it. Judd Foxman, the main character, was just as self loathing and sarcastic as I am. His older sister, Wendy is such a bitch and quick witted. I loved every second of her character; she had to be my favorite. I love the large dysfunctional family that is the Foxmans.

Pretty much as soon as I opened up This Is Where I Leave You, I was reminded of Peep World (2010). Even from reading the synopsis I saw the similarities (putting aside that both families are Jewish). Both families, the Meyewitzes (Peep World) and the Foxmans (This Is Where I Leave You) are barely functioning dysfunctional families that gather together as a result of their father's request. In Peep World it was for their father's 70th birthday and in This Is Where I Leave You, their father's last dying wish for them to sit shiva. The fathers play a role in bringing their families together. Both were also dark comedies, but This Is Where I Leave You, more so. The only difference I saw was how the fathers were viewed. In This Is Where I Leave You Mort Foxman was the best father he could've been. He tried, but was from a different generation and when his kids reached adolescence, he didn't really know how to deal with them. But he loved them and instilled values in them they only realized after he's passed. Peep World was the opposite. The father was blatantly a bad father, now his children were always trying to win his affection and as a result don't get along.  Peep World was a really good film and I recommend you all watch it, but don't put too much stock in it being similar to This Is Where I Leave You.

In fact, This Is Where I Leave You is getting adapted into a film by Jonathan Tropper himself. Although it won't be like The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) where the author writes and directs (unfortunately). But I'm still excited to see the film! Maybe one day I can do a Novel Adaptation post about This Is Where I Leave You. 

This Is Where I Leave You was one of the most realistic novels I've ever read. I really can't remember the last book that made me feel it all. I have to believe that not all of this was fiction. I have to believe that some of this is about Jonathan Tropper's real life. And if it is, congratulations to him for surviving it and turning it into such a beautiful book. While reading This Is Where I Leave You I couldn't help, but think that my life could've possibly been this and may possibly be this. (Knock on wood). This story is SO realistic, believe me. It was hard to differentiate between reality and the book when I was reading. It was a quick read for me because I was so wrapped up in the story and you will be too. I could've finished it in two days, but my emotions needed a break now and then.

The ending was very satisfactory. I know that sounds weird, but you read it and tell me that you're not satisfied by then end. After the emotional roller coaster it put me on, I was so happy with the ending. I love an ending like how This Is Where I Leave You ended.

On my list of fifty books you must read before you die, This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper is in the top five.





No comments:

Post a Comment