Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

Did you know J.D. Salinger wrote books other than The Catcher in the Rye? Well, he did and one of those other novels is Franny and Zooey.

Spoilers: This is a short review. A short review for a short novel.



I just finished rereading Franny and Zooey and I have to say, the second time was much better. I decided to read this novel again because I recently felt like I didn't understand it the first time. I think I read it when I was a junior in high school or a freshman in college, I can't remember. All I remember is that I felt like I sped read through it for some odd reason and missed the whole story. I was right about my missing something the first time I read it.

Franny and Zooey is funnier than I remember. I definitely enjoyed it the second time. All the characters from Franny's boyfriend, Lane, to Franny and Zooey's mother, Bessie, are hilarious. They're all quick witted and in their own worlds. I love a bit of a selfish character. I don't remember laughing so hard at the Zooey chapter of the book. He's really sassy and some of those insults he spat are going to be added to my repertoire.

The story is fairly simple and easy to follow. Now that I'm older, I can appreciate this novel and not miss anything in the story. Franny and Zooey is only two hundred two pages; it's a really quick, fun read. I read it fast again, but like I said, now that I'm older I picked up more from the story so I can read it fast. Does that make sense?

The antagonistic personality of Zooey towards Franny reminds me of me and my brother. Usually he's Zooey and I'm Franny. But on some rare occasions, I'm Zooey and he's Franny; only my brother's not nearly as sensitive as Franny. 

I highly recommend Franny and Zooey for a quick, fun read. Also because even though it's a classic well written story and I enjoyed it, The Catcher in the Rye is not his only novel. Expand your mind, people. Read Franny and Zooey!

Fun Fact: Zooey Deschanel was named after the character Zooey. Zooey in Franny and Zooey is a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment