Monday, May 21, 2012

Books vs. eBooks


I grew up reading hardcopies of books, so you could say I already have a bias against electronic versions of books. I don't have anything against them or people who prefer eBooks, but personally I love the feel, smell and experience of reading from a hardcopy and holding the actual book. I don't like reading from a computer screen very much; not sure if I can explain why, but I just feel when I read on a screen, it's more likely that I'll read the same line over and over. It's also harder for me to follow along with my finger (something I like to do a lot while reading). Not to mention, I get distracted easier when I read on a computer.

When you have a Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc. I admit it is easier to have multiple books with you at one time. They're also ideal for travelling when you go on extended trips and stuff. But I've just never been into not having a hardcopy of a book. Of course this limits me because I mostly go to library and check out books. I can't take library books with me when I go to another state for more than two weeks or another country, I don't get to keep the book once I finish it and if I don't finish it within the time period of rental, I have to return it and then take it out again. I don't mind this, there are ways of getting around the system. I also don't mind "lugging" around countless books in my bag. I love the weight of a good read.

I don't know much about eBooks or digital copies of novels, but I think you can rent a copy of book on your "tablet"device, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But if you can't and you read a book you don't like, you're stuck with that book. Sure, you can delete it off of your device to make more space for better books, but that's not going to return the $3+ you spent on it. At least with hardcopies of books you can sell them and get some money back or give them away to libraries or friends.

Another reason why I prefer actual books is that I don't think reading on a small screen is going to do good things for my eyes. I already wear glasses (reading glasses, since I was a kid) and squinting at a screen will only make my prescription stronger. With real books, the font is already big enough for my eyes and I don't have to zoom in to get a better look.

You also can't forget about the older sibling of eBooks, Audiobooks. I don't like those either. I probably hate them more than eBooks. Mostly because they put a voice to the characters when you should be able to put your own voice to the characters. It's like when a book is turned into a film, the director is showing their own voice and interpretation. Also with Audiobooks, it's mostly one person doing the voices of many characters. At least in film versions of books, there's a different person for each character. I remember once I was in my friend's car and she was listening to an Audiobook of a book in the A Series of Unfortunate Events series. I think Tim Curry was the person who they decided would be on the Audiobook. Although I like Tim Curry, I didn't want him to read a book to me. I don't why, but even at that early of an age, I didn't feel comfortable hearing someone else's voice read a book to me I was capable of reading to myself. I guess if you think about it, if your parents read to you when you were a kid, like my Mom did, that could technically be your first experience with an Audiobook. But for me, they're two completely different things. When you're younger and people read to you, it's because the easiest way for you to understand is through listening and then you'll be able to read on your own. That's how you learned to talk, isn't it, by listening? Audiobooks just seem to rush through books and you don't get to take the time to absorb every word. At least with eBooks you can turn the pages and read on your own.

I must admit, it might be funny to hear the Audiobook for American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (if there is one). I'd love to hear what kind of voice they picked for Patrick Bateman.

In the battle between Books and eBooks, I have to side with books. I'm a sucker for a nice, thick hardcopy that I can use, abuse and get attached to.

No comments:

Post a Comment